Answer 15 of these questions in either chart or sentence form.
Directions: Through a chart or bullets or a single paragraph-write out and KNOW each of the following questions:
1. Analyze the origins and development of slavery in Britain’s North American colonies in the period 1607 to 1776.
2. Although New England and the Chesapeake region were both settled largely by people of English origin, by 1700 the regions had evolved into two distinct societies. Why did this difference in development occur?
3. Analyze the effect of the French and Indian War (Seven Years War) and its aftermath on the relationship between Great Britain and the British colonies. Confine your response to the period from 1754 to 1776.
4. Analyze the political, diplomatic, and military reasons for the United States victory in the Revolutionary War. Confine your answer to the period 1775-1783
5. Evaluate the extent to which the Articles of Confederation were effective or ineffective in solving the problems that confronted the new nation.
6. Analyze the contributions of TWO of the following in helping establish a stable government after the adoption of the Constitution. John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington.
7. Analyze the impact of the American Revolution on both slavery and the status of women in the period from 1775 to 1800.
8. Chart out the first political parties of the 1790’s.
9. To what extent was the election of 1800 aptly named the “Revolution of 1800”? Respond with reference to TWO of the following areas: economics, foreign policy, judiciary, politics.
10. The Jacksonian Period (1824-1848) has been celebrated as the era of the “common man.” To what extent did the period live up to its characterization? Consider TWO of the following in your response: Economic Development, Politics, Reform Movements.
11. To what extent and in what ways did the roles of women change in American society between 1790 and 1860? Respond with reference to TWO of the following areas: domestic, economic, political, social.
12. Analyze the causes of growing opposition to slavery in the United States from 1776 to 1852. In your response, consider both underlying forces and specific events that contributed to the growing opposition.
13. Historians have traditionally labeled the period after the War of 1812 the “Era of Good Feelings.” Evaluate the accuracy of this label, considering the emergence of nationalism and sectionalism. Use the documents and your knowledge of the period 1815-1825 to construct your answer.
14. Analyze the ways in which controversy over the extension of slavery into western territories contributed to the coming of the Civil War. Confine your answer to the period 1845-1861.
15. To what extent were the goals of Reconstruction regarding African-Americans achieved or not achieved by 1900?
16. Choose TWO of the following organizations and explain their strategies for advancing the interests of workers. To what extent were these organizations successful in achieving their objectives? Confine your answer to the period from 1875 to 1925. Knights of Labor, American Federation of Labor, Socialist Party of America, Industrial Workers of the World.
17. Analyze the ways in which technology, government policy, and economic conditions changed American agriculture in the period 1865-1900. In your answer be sure to evaluate farmers’ responses to these changes.
18. How were the lives of the Plains Indians in the 2nd half of the 19th century affected by technological developments and government actions?
19. Explain how TWO of the following individuals responded to the economic and social problems created by industrialization during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Jane Addams, Andrew Carnegie, Samuel Gompers, Upton Sinclair.
20. To what extent did the role of the federal government change under President Theodore Roosevelt in regard to TWO of the following: labor, trusts, conservation, world affairs.
21. Analyze the effectiveness of Progressive Era reformers in addressing problems of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In your answer, focus on reform efforts in TWO of the following areas: State and federal government, the workplace, living conditions in cities.
22. In what ways did economic conditions and development in the arts and entertainment help create the reputation of the 1920s as the Roaring Twenties?
23. How successful were the programs of the New Deal in solving the problems of the Great Depression? Assess with respect to TWO of the following: Relief, Recovery, Reform.
24. How and for what reasons did United States foreign policy change between 1920 and 1941?
25. Analyze the home-front experiences of TWO of the following groups during the Second World War. African Americans, Japanese Americans, Jewish Americans, Mexican Americans.
Answer 15 of these questions in either chart or sentence form.
George H.W. Bush’s famous mistake
In place of the State of the Union, events of the Space Shuttle Challenger crashing had President Reagan deliver a different kind of speech. This shows his tender leadership and also he manages to justify why and how we explore space.
This brief news clip shows the humor of President Reagan. He gained a reputation as one of the most charming and funniest Presidents in American history.
Two decades after JFK blasted the fact that communism needs to build the Berlin Wall to keep their people in, Ronald Reagan tells Mr. Gorbachev to tear down the wall. He articulates that communism has failed and that the West has won the Cold War. He wishes come true four years later.
A look through images of the years of malaise preceding 1980 when the country was feeling poorly about itself.
Watergate in 45 minutes.
Brief Jimmy Carter Power Point about his life, biography, and key points.
Richard Nixon helps relations between the US and China by sending the Ping Pong team to the communist country. This is demonstrated in a 10 second, fictional clip, by Forrest Gump.
Détente is a French word meaning relaxing or easing. Détente is applied in a situation of increasing tension between nations. It is a way to find peace through Diplomacy without fighting. Détente was used during the Cold War in 1970′s and did reduce tensions between the U.S. and the Soviet Union.
At that time, the major world super powers of the USA, USSR and China, feared a Nuclear holocaust if the Cold War continued. Détente greatly calmed the tensions of the USA and USSR and encouraged more peace worldwide. Around 1989-1990 the Cold War ended, with Détente being finally successful.
Richard Nixon’s downfall of lying to the American people about his knowledge about the Watergate break in.
Map showing Nixon’s win against Humphrey and Wallace